Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Taming the monster in the closet...

“Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.” ~Martina Navratilova

February. Valentine's. Spring is just around the corner and that means spring cleaning. Ugh. Confession: I am the WORST when it comes to cleaning. Seriously. If I tell you how bad I truly am... well, it's embarassing but that's not the point of this blog. We are going to tackle the 'skeletons' in our closets together. :o)

I realize it's easy to become emotionally attached to clothing. I'm the first to admit I have too many clothes. So, I'm going to use a hodge-podge of what's helped me clean my closet and what the 'experts' say on purging your closet. I figure when the closet is purged and organized, it'll be easier to create outfits.

6 questions to ask:

•Have I worn this within the last 12 months?
•Does it fit me now?
- By the time you're thin enough to wear the article of clothing again, will it still be in style?
•Do I feel good when I wear it?
- This is about confidence. Are you your most confident you when you wear it?
•Do I look good when I wear it?
- I think this goes hand in hand with being comfortable. If you're comfortable and it looks good (both are important!) then keep it.
•Am I comfortable in it?
- If you are readjusting the sleeves, tugging to make it longer, or pulling the pants from your rear, you're probably not comfortable. I can honestly say, when I'm uncomfortable, I get cranky, stressed, and cry. Sounds dramatic, I know, but it's true.
•Does it hold any special sentimental connection for me?

If the answer is "no" it has to go!

Last thing: Are you keeping the piece of clothing because you feel proper alteration will make it wearable once again? Beyond a missing button or a simple hem, the clothing would be best altered by a professional. Before dashing off to the tailor, do the math in terms of time and money. If it's still worth it, then get it altered ay-sap. If not, it has to go.

You know yourself better than anyone, I have to have a friend with me for "emotional support" when cleaning out my closet. Plus, a brutally honest friend can say, "Jana, girl, snakeskin has been out for years. Do NOT keep that skirt!". [true story]

Okay, my very LAST tip is all me. There is a difference between vintage and old clothes. This is going to sound a bit harsh... but I realized my ten-year-reunion is next summer. EEK! Unfortunately, unless it's a "wardrobe basic"**, clothes from high school, unless sentimental, may need to be reconsidered. It's always up to you. I'm always an advocate of being yourself so if these items reflect your personal style hold on to it.

So, let's get those closets purged because one they are, we're going to donate clothes and we're going to learn how to use what have to create great things.

"So much of purging is not giving in to your feelings, but rather using your head." ~ Christopher Lowell [home organizing/decorating guru]




** Wardrobe basic- explanation/blog/ coming soon.... stay tuned!

~Get your fashion on~
<3 Jana Faith

1 comments:

LoudLizzard said...

LOL!: "By the time you're thin enough to wear the article of clothing again, will it still be in style?" I truly need to remember that! I can't tell you how many shirts or pairs of jeans I've unpacked 2 years after I put them away (until I could fit into them again) and by then, they are so completely out of style. I don't know that I've ever actually lost the weight to fit into them anyway. In high school, I didn't realize that the fact that I weighed more than last year just meant I was growing up and becoming a woman! I look back on high school pictures and realize just how fit I really was. It's so funny how we grossly distort ourselves when we look in a mirror!

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! I read them. I love them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Designs. Powered by Blogger.